Rattletale

Overview

Rattletale is located at the Rattletale Wall, a small crag in the Index Town Wall area, located between The Cheeks and Private Idaho. Although containing four reportedly excellent routes (Darryl Cramer gave two of them three stars and the others two), the area sees little activity, probably because of the approximately 30 minute hike necessary to reach its base and the somewhat difficulty to locate trail. Because of the low volume, the climb can be a bit dirty and foliated, but not so much as to cause real problems if dry.

Rattletale Wall topo
Topo from Sky Valley Rock

Getting There

Park in town and follow the Lookout Point trail as for Private Idaho, the side trail to the Rattletale Wall will be on the left a short ways up the hill after the prominent boulder.

The Route

Rattletale – 5.10b
First ascent by Dave Anderson, Cal Folsom, and Phil McCrudden
A three-tiered crack climb consisting of a mossy low angle start leading to a short, steep right facing lie-back that ends in a small ledge and an anchor (5.9). From there a right facing, over-hanging hand crack leads to another, much larger ledge and anchor (5.10b), and the start of a short twin-crack chimney climb (5.10a).

RattletaleRattletale
Rattletale Pitch 2Pitch 2
Rattletale Pitch 3Pitch 3


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

IndexRoutes