Red Dihedral Photo TR

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 1, 2010
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Summer

Some Words...

The Red DihedralThe Red Dihedral
The Red DihedralP3
The Red DihedralP6
Incredible Hulk
The Red Dihedral

Sacramento airport just before 10pm on Friday night and a long line at the Alamo rental counter. A night time drive over the Sierra crest while enjoying the anchor leg of the Swan Thieves on audio. 2 am arrival in Bridgeport and a couple hours of sleep in the front seats of the rental on the shoulder of 395 briefly interrupted by a (polite) visit from CHP. First in line (out of 1…what, no crowds?) at the ranger station in the morning and a quick breakfast in some dive in town. Smooth hike up to the base of the Hulk – thankfully disregarding the Supertopo beta for the final part of the approach (go right of the cliffs, not left or through them). Three parties on the face: on The Polish Route, on Positive Vibrations, and on the Red Dihedral (our line of choice). A large dinner in camp and an early wake up on Sunday. First ones on route. Resuscitation efforts on one camera fail - shit. The short pitch before dihedral is hard already and the dihedral itself is pretty damn sustained (& not clean style-wise for me). Feeling effects of altitude. Splitter above looks pretty but hand-size it’s not (at least for me)! Rest of the pitches are OK but not too memorable. The birth canal at top is plenty large even for a fatass like me. Top out in the afternoon and back in camp by 5. Hiking out by 6 and make it to within a mile of trailhead before headlamps come out. 9:30pm at Rhino’s for pizza and a 2am arrival in a Mo’6 in Sacramento (feeling effects of pizza all the way and through the brief night). A 4am wake up call and a pre-work 6am flight home. Wish we could climb more in the Sierras. The end.

Some Photos...

Incredible HulkShirley on the final boulder field approach to The Hulk (looming on left) on Saturday.
Incredible HulkNearly at the base of The Hulk with a cool (steep!) granite tower in the background.
Incredible HulkRelaxing in camp and watching three different parties on three different routes!
Polish Route...like these two dudes on the spectacular looking Polish Route (5.10+)
The Red Dihedral...and a couple on the Red Dihedral route (P4).
Incredible HulkShirley admiring the Hulk in the late afternoon the day prior to our climb.
The Red DihedralSunday morning & we're off...this is the start of pitch 2 of The Red Dihedral.
The Red DihedralStarting up the namesake dihedral pitch on The Red Dihedral.
The Red DihedralView of us on the dihedral pitch from basecamp.
The Red DihedralNearing the top and the crux of the route (pitch 3...our 4).
The Red DihedralShirley at the belay atop the crux dihedral pitch...starting pitch 4.
The Red DihedralShirley nearing the top of pitch 4.
The Red DihedralStarting pitch 5...we went up the obvious splitter but you can also apparently go left.
The Red DihedralShirley following the "shattered pillar" pitch (#6 I think).
The Red DihedralNearing the top of pitch 6.
The Red DihedralShirley belaying the 7th pitch...one that took us to the ridge of The Hulk.
The Red DihedralApproaching the notch on the 7th pitch.
The Red DihedralTopping out in a notch in The Hulk's ridge.
The Red DihedralShirley making light of the squeeze through move at the very top of the route (yeah, it wasn't that bad even for me).
Incredible HulkStarting down the SE ridge on the descent.
Incredible HulkHiking out.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-8 of 8
rhyang

rhyang - Aug 4, 2010 9:39 am - Voted 10/10

Nice work !

We were up in that vicinity on Thurs/Friday doing Matterhorn, just before you got into town .. great minds think alike :)

rpc

rpc - Aug 4, 2010 10:54 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice work !

Hi Rob,
yup indeed :) ...though I DO think about the fine Sierra climbing most weekends in the summer time! thanks for visiting!

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Aug 5, 2010 12:11 pm - Voted 10/10

Smiles!

You know, I really appreciate the fact that Shirley is ALWAYS SMILING in your photos. Looks like you guys are having a blast here. Thanks for sharing the TR and photos.

Sarah

rpc

rpc - Aug 5, 2010 12:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Smiles!

Thanks Sarah - yeah, let Shirley out of the office & the smiling does not end :) (same for me I guess)
Cheers.

ClimbandBike

ClimbandBike - Aug 6, 2010 12:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Great Photo TR!

You guys are getting after it and inspiring as always.

rpc

rpc - Aug 6, 2010 1:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Photo TR!

thanks Pat - you been keeping busy this summer as well eh...knocking off the N. Cascade classics!

cp0915

cp0915 - Aug 10, 2010 5:07 pm - Voted 10/10

Geesh

I love the Friday afternoon fly-outs, the squeezed-in climbing, and the spastic, urgent returns you guys put yourselves through. No time like the present! Inspiring, man.

rpc

rpc - Aug 10, 2010 5:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Geesh

thanks Courtney.
"spastic" really summarizes it well!! :)

Viewing: 1-8 of 8

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Incredible HulkTrip Reports