Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Matt Stockinger

Matt Stockinger - Mar 23, 2008 12:28 pm - Voted 8/10

Very nice!

I've been thinking about this one for a trip coming this summer. If I go, I'll know not to pick the wrong descent gully (thanks for that). Sure is an awful lot of elevation gain for one day!

jimegan

jimegan - Mar 23, 2008 4:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very nice!

You can do a lot of gain when you start around 3,000' and spend a long day! It would be much harder in the Sierras where most trailheads tend to be at least 8,000'

KristinaAL

KristinaAL - Dec 9, 2008 8:24 am - Hasn't voted

Thanks...

...for the trip report. This is a series of peaks I would rather bag in one day and have been considering to for some time. I'll be sure to re-read this report before I do the climb.

jimegan

jimegan - Dec 15, 2008 11:48 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks...

From your photos it looks like you have seen a lot of GNP...be sure to take a headlamp if you do this climb!!

distressbark

distressbark - Feb 3, 2009 6:43 am - Voted 10/10

great page

wonderful report, looking forward to trying this one out myself this summer.

jimegan

jimegan - Feb 4, 2009 11:23 am - Hasn't voted

Re: great page

Pick a sunny day and have a great trip!!

distressbark

distressbark - Feb 17, 2009 5:16 am - Voted 10/10

question re: descent route

Gordon Edwards tries to describe a route above Virginia Falls to Almost-a-Dog Pass, which I'm front your description sounds like the way you descended from Little Chief back to the road. Edwards write of his own struggles with the area, as well as another very experienced mountaineer; both parties ended up bushwhacking through the night before finally ending up back on the road.

I'm curious as to how you exactly got down! Sounds like you made your way to Virginia Creek and just followed it downstream, where you must have climbed around the falls and joined up with the maintained trail, just a few miles south of Going-to-the-Sun Road. It must not have been that bad? I'd love to do this trek this summer, and am always interested in finding a different way out rather than backtrack over the previously summitted peaks. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

jimegan

jimegan - Feb 17, 2009 10:34 am - Hasn't voted

descent route

Edwards' description sounds awful and I would avoid that area. Fortunately, I stayed well above the drainage on the northeast side of the valley along the flanks of Little Chief. The sound of the falls to my west was a helpful guide in knowing I was headed on a northerly course that would eventually hit the trail. There was some heavy bush whacking, but thankfully it was downhill. It ripped the safety off my bear spray that was attached to my waist at some point. I hit the trail not too far from the falls which made for an easy crossing of the creek via bridge

distressbark

distressbark - Feb 20, 2009 3:38 am - Voted 10/10

thanks

that sounds pretty reasonable. thanks a lot, the route info really makes me excited to give it a run this summer.

i'll be working at the Many Glacier Hotel; if you're looking for some climbing/hiking info for that area, don't hesitate to shoot me a message this summer.

jimegan

jimegan - Feb 20, 2009 11:40 am - Hasn't voted

Re: thanks

I'm hoping to spend some time in GNP, probably in July, maybe we can do a climb if your schedule permits. Let me know how to contact you at the hotel since I won't be "connected".

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'Red Eagle/Mahtotopah/Little Chief Mountains(GNP)' main page