Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.42346°N / 107.23068°W
Additional Information County: Garfield
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7020 ft / 2140 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Red Hill
Elevation : 7,020' (interpolation)
CO Peaks Rank : 4098
Counties : Garfield
Quad : Carbondale
Coords : 39.4227°N, 107.2298°W
Rise : 320'
Saddle : 6,700'



Red Hill is one of those peaks that almost looks like a peak, and when you drive by, you wonder, "I wonder if that's something, and how you'd get up it if it is..." And then you see the tons of people parked there, too! What the heck are they doing? Carpooling? Nope, they're hiking or biking up Red Hill.


Red Hill loomingWhat's that? Is it a peak? Something I can get up?



Thankfully, it is a BLM area ringed by private property. And there are a ton of trails on the peak and mesa area, enough to spread out and still be able to have fun.


Nearing the top...Red dirt fun awaits.



For peak junkies or people with limited time, the shortest route to the top is about 3 miles RT, with about 1150' gain. Speedy sorts can do it in less than an hour, slower folks like myself or people enjoying the views might take longer.







As an added bonus, after you climb Red Hill, you might be able to drive up the road and get up 7553, although I haven't personally done it.

Getting There





From Glenwood Springs, head south towards Aspen on 82. At the 82 & 133 intersection at Carbondale, take a left at the light:
IntersectionTurn, turn, turn!














Parking LotTake only one spot, please.
And then pull into the parking lot, being sure to not be a prick and take only 1 parking space:

Red Tape


Trail location, warningThings to note...


Park Rules - lead by examplePark Rules & regs.


Cryptobiotic - leave them alone!Stay off the crypto!


There is a seasonal closure towards the NW corner, effectively halving the park due to winter and bad trail conditions (MUD!). It might also impact the elk calving in that area.

Trails, trails, trails.CLOSED trails, effective Dec. 1.

No Roadside ParkingAngry signage.

Not public yet...Keep walkin'.

Camping

Not to be dismissive of this peak, but this is another peak that is not a destination peak, meaning that this is just a peak you add on to the beginning of a trip, the end of a trip, or sneak in between other things you have going on in and around the area.

Goods and services can be purchased in Carbondale, a scant .25 miles away.

External Links


Red Hill Trail System on Carbondale.com

Red Hill on ListsofJohn.com

BLM map of the trails on Red Hill.

Trail to the summit

Red Hill TopoTopo & Route


Mushroom RockMushroom Rock
Mythical Rock Tree in FruitMythical tree


The summitSee this? You're at the summit.

Beginning trail surfaceThe start of the trail.