Reynolds Mountain, Glacier National Park

Reynolds Mountain, Glacier National Park

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 30, 2008

Reynolds Mountain, Glacier National Park



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Nov 16, 2008 11:28 am - Voted 10/10

Good call

Brad, everything I've ever read and heard says to stay off the north face when there's any visible snow up there unless you're roping up, and your photo shows that the whole route had snow. When I went, there were two small snowbanks on the route, but each had the potential to cause a fall of hundreds of feet, as the goat trail on the north face skirts a sheer wall most of the way. You made a good decision, and I'm glad you got to experience such a great mountain and all that great scenery.

Elizabeth Riggin

Elizabeth Riggin - Nov 16, 2008 7:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Reclusive treasures...as you say!

As a younge girl...I have explored that country and my father gave me this experience that I will never forget..I write about in vol.two book...Life Goes On...though my first book will be released in 2009-feb..I loved your report and photos! Thanks!
Liz

Saintgrizzly

Saintgrizzly - Nov 17, 2008 12:04 am - Voted 10/10

Glad you enjoyed it, Brad!

"Photos on SummitPost were what initially intrigued me about Glacier National Park, but I can honestly say pictures do not do this place justice."

So very true--"Crown of the Continent," indeed...!

And you absolutely, definitely, positively, no doubt about it, made the right decision on avoiding the North Face Traverse!

jimlup

jimlup - Nov 17, 2008 7:28 pm - Voted 10/10

North Face

Reynold's North Face gives me the creeps. I'd rope up for that one, especially with snow! I know people do it, but I wouldn't. You made the right choice going up the south slope. In '07, I climbed the route you described. The view of The Dragon's Tail captured in your picture of the exposed ledge is great - nice picture!

I must have missed the same cairns you did and a few more. I had to climb the scree slope twice due to a route mistake on the lower cliffs. I recall being surprised at how much loose rock came down while we were descending. We found a fossil in one of those rocks. A helmet is a must for this scree climb!

Brad Snider

Brad Snider - Nov 19, 2008 3:16 am - Hasn't voted

Re: North Face

Thanks for the comment. I don't feel so bad now knowing that I'm not the only one that has had some route-finding difficulties here. I agree 100% about wearing a helmet on this one!

- Brad

Tsuyoshi

Tsuyoshi - Nov 18, 2008 9:41 am - Voted 8/10

WOW

great trip report. I agree that you made the right decision on avoiding the north face. Your pictures are excellent!

Viewing: 1-6 of 6


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.