Ridge NE

Ridge NE

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.79718°N / 0.12937°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Additional Information Difficulty: F.sup.
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Climbing the ridge NEIn the ridge
Ridge NERidge NE

This is an interesting alternative route to the normal. The trailhead and the route to Col d'Estaragne is the same. Only one step crossing had bad rock and it's exposed for 5-6 meters, and, if you see the fall and you don't want to continue in this point, it's possible to return to the col to follow the normal route (15 min + 15 min to return to the col). The rest of the ridge is very good with good rock and 2 pitches of I+.

Getting There

Same trailhead of normal route of Val d'Estaragne.

Route Description

Ridge NENE ridge
Ridge NERidge NE

We'll follow the same of normal route of Val d'Estaragne to the Col d'Estaragne.

In the col we'll turn to NE for a good path in the wide ridge. After some meters the ridge is narrow in two little rock-climbs in left side to evitate the edge. This climb is easy (I and I+) with good rock for the hands. after a new walk up we'll reach an elevation but it's not the summit, it's the fore summit North and we'll see the main summit in the distance. The descent is a little complicated now in left side (I+) and we'll reach the bad terrain of the ridge. It's a narrow rock and generally the best option is to get the edge in an exposed pass. The fall is great and the rock it's not secure (some little stones in the exit). If you don't see clear (or it's wet or with snow) it's possible to return to the col to descent to the normal route.
The terrain is easiest from here with some rock climbs of I to reach the summit od Estaragne.

Essential Gear

Crampons and ice-axe to access to the col from november-december to may-june. If the ridge had some of snow the rope it's advisable.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

EstaragneRoutes