Right Couloir

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.25900°N / 118.6592°W
Additional Information Route Type: Ice climbing
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 5
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From your camp in the South Fork of McGee Creek drainage ( see Checkered Demon mountain approach page ), walk up the moraine to the obvious North Face. The right couloir is to the right of a wild looking buttress, with the easier descent gully to its left.

Route Description


Climb the obvious 800' ice gully. The gully steepens considerably near the top ( 60 degrees ). Either side of the couloir can be followed and rock anchors are possible in the side of couloir. Be careful of extremely loose rock at the top of the couloir.
Descend the lower angle gully to the east.

Essential Gear


Ice climbing equipment including ice tools, crampons, helmets, rope, ice screws and a light rock rack. Due to the sometimes rotten nature of the rock, a couple of pitons may be advisable.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
awagher

awagher - Sep 19, 2005 4:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

We took a look at this route on September 18th, 2005. The route was 75% + melted out and the part that was not was littered with rockfall. To get on this route you must be willing to climb a bergshrund like this

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.