Roche Miette scramble

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 53.16653°N / 117.92295°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Additional Information Difficulty: moderate
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Getting There

Route Description

Park at the gate just off the highway 40 km northeast of Jasper townsite, and 3.5 km southwest of Pocahontas on highways 16.

Once passing the gate, you'll find a gravel dike immediately ahead, running roughly parallel to the highway. Turn left onto a cleared overgrown road heading to the northeast right in front of the dike. Walk along this 'road' for around 10 minutes. You will pass a cairn marking a path turning south into the woods. After this, keep your eyes open for a red/orange stake in the road. Shortly after this stake you'll come across a second cairn which marks the path that will lead you up to the main north ridge of Miette.

If you are unsure of which path to take, it is almost exactly in line with the main ridge leading up to the left of Miette's north face.

The path winds nicely through comfortable open forest for a while with little elevation gain. You will cross a drainage and begin gaining elevation quickly as you gain the ridge. The path is quite obvious all the way up the ridge and following right up to the saddle.

As you rise up the saddle, veer slightly to the left and aim for the obvious gully. Cross the gully at the top of the saddle and follow the coloured survey tape up, on the left side of the gully. Whenever you come to anything that looks a little too intense, keep nudging a little more left and you’re bound to find the easier way up.

If any snow is present on the route or if you’re unsure of conditions, be sure to bring an ice axe as it is a necessity at this upper portion of the scramble.

Once gaining the top of this loose steep section, take note of where you are! A cairn marks the access back to the decent, but you might as well save yourself some time later and not forget where the easy way down is.
The summit of Roche Miette is still a bit of a walk along the top of a rolling plateau to the southwest. A cairn marks the summit along with a survey pin. It appears that a summit registry used to be nested in the cairn, but only cut wires are left as evidence of its presence.

Descend the same way.

Essential Gear

Ice axe

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.