Rock Creek Basin Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.56280°N / 111.4436°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Moderate
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The Trailhead is about 11 miles up Sawtell Peak Road from its junction with US 20 on a sharp curve. Apparently there is a sign for the trailhead, but I didn't see it when I was there possibly because it might have been covered in snow.

Route Description


The trail is a hike around Rock Creek basin. The source of the Missouri River, Hellroaring Creek, is on the left hand side basin of the trail. It is 6 miles long and ranges from 8,500 to 9,100 ft. The terrain is rocky and steep. You will be crossing state lines into Montana and across the Continental Divide. The environment is mostly high mountain alpine.

Essential Gear


Sturdy shoes as you will be hiking over rocky terrain. Plenty of water..unless there is still snow on the ground, there is very little to be found, except at Rock Creek.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.