Rocky Knob Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.95800°N / 77.441°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (Class 1-2)
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions on the "getting there" section of the main page.

Route Description


This route covers 4.23 miles from Long Pine Run Reservoir to the ridge-crest of Flat Top Mountain and the South Mountain Massif. The trail is surrounded by rhododendron groves and is similar in make-up to PA's Appalachian Trail. If starting from the reservoir it is all an up hill hike. The trail to the top of Rocky Knob branches off of the main trail nearly a mile from the trailhead at the reservoir. Views are wonderful down to the lake from the upper rock slides. These slides can be difficult in wet weather so be careful as the slopes are steep the higher you go. The elevation gain involved on an ascent from the reservoir is about 1000 feet.

Essential Gear


Comfortable hiking boots, snacks/water, and a camera.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.