Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.76892°N / 74.79617°W
Additional Information County: Hamilton
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2160 ft / 658 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Not to be confused with the loftier Rocky Peak Ridge of the Adirondack high peaks, Rocky Mountain provides one of the best and most easily obtainable views in the western Adirondacks. This area is best known for canoeing, but there are numerous pleasant surprises to be obtained via short hikes. The 0.6 mile marked trail ascends moderately, gaining 500 feet to the open summit. Views of the lower Fulton Chain of Lakes, especially Fourth Lake, are striking.

If you are driving through the western Adirondacks on your way to or from the high peaks, this one is definitely worth the hour stop it will take for the view!

Getting There

Take NY Route 28 to approximately one mile north and west of the town of Inlet, NY. Look for the parking area on the North side of the road. Two marked trails leave from this point, Rocky and Black Bear Mountains. The Rocky Mountain trail heads more in the northerly direction.

Red Tape

None.

Camping

There is a great NYS public campground at Limekiln Lake, about 2 miles south of the town of Inlet on the aptly named Limekiln Lake Road. This is fee-based camping.

Free primitive camping may be obtained by continuing past Limekiln Lake on the Moose River Plains Road. There are a large number of first come - first serve sites that are quite pleasant and remote.

External Links


The town of Inlet home page may be accessed here. The site has a local trail map and some trail descriptions.

A brief description of the trail may be found here.

Canoeing and other forms of boating are king in this section of the Adirondacks. A description of a classic canoe trip down the Fulton Chain may be found here.

Each June, a 40-mile mountain bike race traverses the Cedar River Road and the Moose River Plains between Inlet and Indian Lake. The start and finish flip from one year to the next. You can learn about the Black Fly Challenge here.