Roundtop Ridge Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.90416°N / 82.82639°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is a straightforward route on a section of the old Appalachian Trail before it was rerouted.

Getting There

From Hot Springs, North Carolina head northeast on US-25 South (Bridge Street) towards Meadow Lane. Follow US-25 across the French Broad River and then make a sharp left turn onto Silvermine Road. Continue onto River Road (to the right) for about .2 mile. Turn right onto Reservoir Road and follow for about .3 mile until it dead-ends at a water tower. This is the trailhead for the Roundtop Ridge Trail.
Water Tower at the Roundtop Ridge Trailhead
Water Tower at the Roundtop Ridge Trailhead


















Route Description

Follow the Roundtop Ridge Trail (FS Trail 295) for 3.1 miles to its end at intersection with the Appalachian Trail (AT).
Sign at intersection of Roundtop Ridge and the AT
Sign at intersection of Roundtop Ridge and the AT
Make a left onto the AT and follow for a short distance (about .2 mile) to the intersection with the trail that leads to Rich Mountain.
Unnamed Image
Unnamed Image
Make a left and follow this short trail for about .2 mile to the summit and fire tower.
Rich Mountain Fire Tower
Rich Mountain Fire Tower

Essential Gear

A good attitude and the normal hiking essentials.

External Links

Trip report for ascent of Rich Mountain via Roundtop Ridge Trail


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.