Route from Mucubaji Lagoon

Route from Mucubaji Lagoon

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The start of the route, Mucubaji Lagoon, is very close to the main road. You can reach it either by driving into the National Park after paying a fee at the entrance, or walking for about ten minutes from the main road.

Route Description

From the conference center near the shore of Mucubají Lagoon, take the trail due south that dips down through the small ravine alongside the house. Shortly after leaving the house a junction will be reached, take the right hand trail which leads up the flat meadow-like stream course of the lagoon feeder. Cross the stream twice, heading toward the head of the stream at the "Cascadas" (a beautiful waterfall) where the trail begins its climb, you can camp here or at various higher campsites.

From the "Cascadas" the trail climbs steadily and usually not too steeply until it reaches a large headwall which is distinguished by a white gully comming steeply down in the middle of it. just before the headwall at about 4.000 mt (13.200 ft) is the last good campsite with water readily available.

From here you are really in the mountains and have left most vegetation and flat spots below you, there is no well defined trail, but the route can be traced following the numerous ducks (small rock cairns) marking the correct ascent.

The route turns to a rock hopping excursion, slow going can be expected, also as there is loose rock alongside the route, caution will be required.

Eventually after some steep climbing, the summit of pico Mucuñuque comes to view, which is marked with a four-foot high concrete topographic post.

(Most of trail description taken from "hiking / Backpaking in the Venezuelan Andes" by Forest Leighty)

Essential Gear

Standard hiking and camping equipment.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

MifesRoutes