Route from Otter Lake

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.09400°N / 119.677°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike / Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Class II
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


When approaching from Otter Lake, the closest trailheads are listed below with directions to the lake.

1) Leavitt Meadows Pack Station
Follow the West Walker River trail south until you reach the Cascade Creek trail. Follow the Cascade Creek trail until it joins the PCT. Take the PCT south until you get to Grace Meadow. At the south end of Grace Meadow, about 1.25 miles past Chitteden Peak, follow the outlet stream of Otter Lake to the west. (23 miles total) The ascent begins on the north side of the of the lake.

2) The Leavitt Lake trailhead is only accessible with an SUV with high clearance and 4-wheel drive. Leavitt Lake road is located 3.8 miles east of the Sonora Pass off of CA Hwy 108. It's 3 miles to Leavitt Lake over very rough terrain and a couple of stream crossings. Free parking is available on the north side of the lake. Follow the Leavitt Pass trail south, up and over Big Sam, for 10 miles until you reach Emigrant Pass. Take the trail SW to Bond Pass. The Pacific Crest Trail is just a mile past Bond Pass. Turn south on the PCT and hike for about 7 miles until you reach the outlet stream coming from Otter Lake. Follow the stream west until you get to the lake. (22 miles total)

* Call well in advance to reserve horse and guide if you decide to pack in with Leavitt Meadows.

Route Description


Head north from Otter Lake for about 1/4 mile, then turn west past some small tarns. Hike for about a mile over mixed grassy meadows and granite slabs. Continue west, making your way up gently rising Class II granite slabs and benches until you reach the summit. Click here for a topo map of the route.

Start elevation: 8,907'
Summit: 9,935'
Elevation gain: 1,028'
Distance: 1 mile

Essential Gear


There is no special equipment required for this climb during the summer months except for the usual overnight backcountry camping gear.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.