Route of the Military

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.22730°N / 7.06970°E
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


At the northern entrance of the town Saint Maurice take the road to Lavey les Bains and follow the little mountain road to Morcles. You reach the hamlet after 30 (!) tight bends. Continue higher to Les Martinaux (20 bends more !). Park at the end of the road.

Route Description


An unforgettabkle walk !

Take the path on the left to Le Crételet (military trail). Follow the trail direction Rionda. A 15 minutes worthy detour leads you to La Tourche Hut (nice view over the Nant side). After 1,5 hour, you reach the old barracks of Rionda. Walk to the signpost of the Muveran tour.
Leave here the marked path and climb through the grassy comb to a little crest. In a sling, climb under the little tooth of Morcles. On the right you reach an old military shelter.
Here begins the "Grande Vire", an horizontal path across two steep combs.
Now you are at the basis of a gully. Yellow painted arrows show the way up on a super tiny path in a very steep rocky couloir. In the high a chimney with a fallen rock needs some gymnastics. Now you are on the crest and the summit can be reached very easily on the left.

Essential Gear


Telescopic sticks are useful


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.