Ruta Este - 18 de Marzo

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 24.53000°N / 100.13°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The approach to the town of 18 de Marzo is described in the Getting there section.

Route Description


The hike starts going west on the street that`s on the northern side of the plaza, two blocks away the trail starts on the left side where the street ends, it goes down and across a dry creek and then starts climbing on the other side on the gentle lower slopes.
The trail is not marked, so one has to pay attention when it crosse paths with the gravel road leading to the summit antennas; eventually the slopes get steeper and the trail winds through the brush; about half way up where the pine forest starts, there is a nice flat spot to stop and take a break. Above this area the trail is not very clear since there was a lot of damage done by the wildfires, nevertheless it climbs almost straight to the lower microwave towers, from there it curves to the northern slopes and then straight up until it meets the road for the last time, from here follow the road for half a mile to the central summit plateau, wich is very flat and big; on the northern side are some more microwave towers, but the true summit is further south beyond a little saddle and it is marked by a tall metal cross.
It takes between 4 and 6 hours to complete this route with a day pack.

Essential Gear


Crampons and ice axe might be needed if snow is present during the winter months.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.