Sadnig from Sadnighaus

Sadnig from Sadnighaus

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.94215°N / 12.99000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: A medium hard hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Rating the Route (By Hiking Standards)

See full screen

Hoher Sadnig from the north
Hoher Sadnig from the north

The grading system for hiking and scrambling routes is here.

0. General: From 1880 m to 2745 m, exposition W and N. At first a steep hike-up through woods, then a less steep ascent over grassy slopes on Sadnigscharte. The final ridge has only a short final rocky section, where some easy climbing is needed. Gear: Good hiking shoes and poles. On the SAC Hiking Scale the tour would be graded T3.

1. Effort: cca 900 m, 3 h.

2. Power: 2 - Easy (mostly 1 - no difficulties, the last few meters some pull-ups).

3. Psyche: 2 - Easy.

4. Orientation: 1 - No difficulties (well marked).

Overview

The hike from the NW is very nice, especially in early summer when slopes are full of blossoming flowers, or in autumn. The direct variant is mostly straightforward, the alternative over the Lindler Alm is a bit longer, but also very beautiful. So, we can combine them and make in the lower part a round tour. From the Kapitzenbuehel on, over the Sadnigscharte on the summit and back the route is the same. On this hike we can visit also the summit of Mulleter Sadnig (additional 15 minutes up from Sadnigscharte), and a small lake west of Sadnigscharte (we can visit it when going up or on the return down).

Route Description

See the main page of Sadnig how to reach the Sadnighaus, 1880 m.  

Above Astental

Variant 1. From the parking place we descend some 20 meters into the valley, go a few meters by the road up the valley and then immediately cross the creek by a good bridge. Clear signs and inscriptions direct us right, then horizontally over the slopes and then up the slopes, traversing them all the time towards the right (SW direction). Soon we are again opposite the hut and even further towards the right. There only the direction turns sharply and we start traversing the slopes towards the left and up. On one place crossing a ravine is a bit tricky, otherwise the path is broad, but mostly also steep.  

Towards Kapitzenbuehl

So we reach a small picturesque side ridge and go by it. The creek cascade, which we were observing from the hut, how it falls down the slope, is already beneath us. Then we continue by open terrain, all the time towards the east. So we reach a high plateau north of Bretterwand, and in the middle of it a small bump, called Kapitzenbuehel, 2282 m. There from the left the northern variant (over Lindler Alm) joins.  

The upper Lindler Alm

Variant 2. As above, we descend into the valley and continue by the road towards the NE on Auernig Alm. There the flat part of Astental ends. Be careful to turn right and follow the broad marked path (No. 149) on Lindler Alm, which we clearly see less than 100 m higher. Don't go in the same direction on Schobertoerl! From Lindler Alm we continue the ascent in the SE direction. In many switchbacks we approach steep rocky walls, until in a corner below the walls a steep ramp opens towards the right. The passage is protected by a steel rope (forming a fence), but is broad and comfortable, because cattle is brought by it on the higher plateau. Exiting the passage, we enter through a fence gate into a paradise. A nice, flat grassy plateau, with many water ponds, rhododendrhon patches, full of cattle (in summer) and a small hut above, monitoring the scene. The path crosses the meadow in the SW direction and then in a few turns ascends on Kapitzenbuehel. This variant is some 15-30 minutes longer then #1.  

On Sadnigscharte

The summit ascent goes first a bit up and down over the plateau and then by a broad valley towards the east on the Sadnigscharte, 2484 m. There the eastern view opens, and also the view over the mountains across Astental on Grossglockner.  

Mulleter Sadnig

From Sadnigscharte it is very recommendable to jump up on the nearby Mulleter Sadnig, 2569 m. The hill is rounded and easy to reach, we need just a few minutes, but the view on Grossglockner and also on the main summits of Goldberg group is already almost perfect. We can also overlook well the last part of our further route - by the N ridge on top of Hoher Sadnig.  

Approaching the summit of Sadnig

We return on Sadnigscharte and continue southwards. First we gain the N ridge of Sadnig, then continue a bit towards the right, turn left again and traverse the slope covered with big, unstable rocks, go up the ridge again and gain the fore-summit, called Gradoz, descend a bit and finally attack the last 100 meters of the ascent. Only the last part is rocky, where we need to pull up on a few places, but this climbing part is also easy. We return on Kapitzenbuehel by the same route, and there decide wheter to do the round tour in the valley or not.  

Below Sadnig

And the last hint: When returning by the N ridge of Sadnig on Sadnigscharte, just before the saddle, you can descend left down towards a small lake (or go there from the saddle). There is no path, but the small detour is easy and certainly worth to do. The scenery by the lake (actually there are two more ponds) is very nice.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.