Saint Besso's Story near the Arietta's Pass

Saint Besso's Story near the Arietta's Pass

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Scrambling

San Besso & Arietta Pass

The Story of San Besso

which is in any case always connected to the Evil One, is lost in time. Holy Shepherd of the Theban Legion or killed by other shepherds to envy? Legend tells that , in any case, he was thrown from the Monte Fauterio or Fautenio and even also called Fantono, from the Alp Fanton just below, at the foot of which was built alongside the Sanctuary with a small votive chapel. "Previous Place of Worship Christian Era was recognized by the Pagans, probably the Populations Celtic - Salassian that passed between the Canavese and the Cogne Valley for business affairs, but since then, probably, also for the transport of Ironore, the religion then turned to Other Gods, before the Middle Ages arose Worship and the relative Fear of the Devil. It appears, that the place had a name relating to the same. It could be the Truc of the Devil? Where the Truc is to mean a rock by the passage difficult. Incidentally the passage of the hill instilled fears always. Understandable. In the Seventeenth Century was built the shrine dedicated it to San Besso, was completed in 1669 and major renovations took place in 1857 and 1985. Traditional destination for meetings between the populations of the two valleys on August 10th, even today , make a Procession, with the "Cogneins" required to pass the Arietta's Hill to be able to go to the San Besso Sanctuary. Almost a recognition due to their distant origins, so that in time past were worn traditional costumes. But this was also true for the Piedmontese of each valley, as if to confirm their Identity. Tradition has it that the statue completes a lap around the big boulder of Martyrdom and, in time past, there were few arguments which broke out among the inhabitants of Campiglia Soana and those of Cogne in order to obtain the Honor of Transportation, with lots of tender ritual. Other times, today, maybe, it could happen the other way around! Other devotees come for the occasion, also from Champorcher Valley, through the primeval Balma's Hill, a unit of devotees intent, which gets connected to another Legend as to highlight a link between the Saints Porzio or Porciero ( whence Champorcher ) and Besso, it would seem, comrades escape from the Theban Legion and both, then, Martyrs. Indeed it is said that belonged to that group of Milites 6600, led by Saint Maurice, murdered in 286 AD by order of Emperor Maximian for refusing to worship the Pagan Gods, the massacre happened at Agaunum, currently in Bourg Saint Maurice Swiss Canton of Valais. The survivors, including the Legionary Besso, strove for the Evangelization in the Mountains, with the Emperor minions always at their heels, determined to make a clean sweep. Other versions speak instead of a plot of mountaineers who would then handed over to the Romans and this hypothesis is true for the one as the other valley, so that may have been killed by them in Cogne, where he had fled. Finally, a further history, its research scholar Anthropologist Robert Hertz in 1912, according to which a story passed down from generation to generation in the Cogne Valley is only as a good shepherd with his flock prosperous, and his devotion and his "well-being" would have provoked the envy and rage of other mountaineers atheists, then the architects of Martyrdom. But who was really San Besso? You want to remember as the Great Healer, Protector of Soldiers from the War and finally Holy Man.

La Storia di San Besso
che va in ogni caso sempre collegata al Maligno, si perde nel Tempo. Santo della Legione Tebea o Pastore ucciso da altri pecorai per invidia? La Leggenda tramanda che, in ogni caso, fu gettato dalla Monte Fauterio o Fautenio oppure ed anche Fantono dall'Alpe Fanton appena sotto, ai piedi del quale é stato costruito il Santuario con al fianco una cappellina votiva. Luogo di Culto precedente all'Era Cristiana era riconosciuto dai Pagani, probabilmente le Popolazioni Celtico-Salasse che transitavano tral Canavese e la Valle di Cogne per affari commerciali, ma già sin d'allora, probabilmente, anche per il trasporto del Minerale di Ferro; la religione di allora si rivolgeva ad Altri Dei, prima che dal Medio Evo sorgesse il Culto e la relativa Paura del Diavolo. Par, infatti, che il luogo avesse un toponimo riguardante il medesimo. Potrebbe esser il Truc del Diavolo? Dove quel Truc sta a significar una roccia dal passaggio difficile. Daltronde il passaggio del colle incuteva paure da sempre. Comprensibili. Nel XVII° Secolo venne edificato il Santuario dedicandolo a San Besso; fu completato nel 1669 ed importanti restauri avvennero nel 1857 e nel 1985. Tradizionale meta di incontro tra le popolazioni delle due vallate che il 10 di Agosto, ancor oggigiorno, effettuano una Processione, con i "Cognensi" obbligati a passar il Colle d'Arietta per potersi recare al Santuario del Santo Besso. Quasi un riconoscimento dovuto alle loro lontane origini, tanto che nel tempo passato venivan indossati i costumi tradizionali. Ma questo valeva anche per i Piemontesi d'ogni vallata, palesemente a voler confermar la loro Identità. La Tradizione vuol che la statua compia un giro attorno al roccione del Martirio e, nel tempo passato, non poche eran le liti che scoppiavano tra gli abitanti di Campiglia Soana e quelli di Cogne onde ottenere l'Onore del Trasporto, con tanto di bando rituale. Altri tempi, oggi, forse, potrebbe succedere il contrario! Altri devoti giungono, per l'occasione, anche dalla Valle di Champorcher, attravers'al primigenio Colle della Balma; un'unità di devoti intenti, che si fà collegare ad altra Leggenda tale da evidenziare un legame tra i Santi Porzio o Porciero (donde Champorcher) e Besso, sembrerebbe, compagni di fuga dalla Legione Tebea ed entrambi, poi, Martiri. Anzi si racconta che appartenesse a quella schiera di 6600 Milites, con a capo San Maurizio, trucidata nel 286 dopo Cristo con ordine dell'Imperatore Massimiano per non aver voluto adorare gli Dei Pagani; l'eccidio avvenne ad Agaunum, attualmente Bourg Saint Maurice nel Canton Vallese Svizzero. I superstiti, tra i quali il Legionario Besso, si adoperarono per l'Evangelizzazione nelle Montagne, con alle calcagne sempre gli sgherri dell'Imperatore, decisi ad effettuar tabula rasa. Altre versioni parlano invece d'un complotto di montanari che lo avrebbero poi consegnato ai Romani e questa ipotesi vale per l'una quanto l'altra vallata, tanto che potrebbe essere stato ucciso dagli stessi a Cogne, ove s'era rifugiato. Infine, un'ulteriore storia, propria della ricerca dello studioso Antropologo Robert Hertz del 1912, secondo la quale un racconto tramandato di generazione in generazione nella Valle di Cogne lo rappresenta solo come un buon pastore con il suo prospero gregge; la sua Devozione ed il suo "benessere" avrebbero scatenato l'invidia e la furia di altri montanari atei, poi artefici del Martirio. Ma chi era veramente San Besso? Lo si vuole ricordare come Grande Taumaturgo, Protettore di Soldati dalla Guerra ed infine Santo.



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.