Salmon River Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.26420°N / 121.8756°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Take Hwy 26 East out to Zigzag. Turn right on Salmon River road and follow it until it dead ends a mile past Green Canyon Campground. Load up the gear and lock you car (dont leave valuables!).

Route Description


If you want to enjoy the beauty of the Salmon river, a overnight backpacking trip and a summit all in one trip, this is your route.

To get to the summit, an overnight stay at Kinzel lake is a very reasonable option (some people are capable of running the entire route in one day). Follow the Salmon River trail for 5.6 miles as it climbs by 1120 feet. When the turnoff for the Kinzel Lake Trail appears, follow it up for 2.1 miles and 1520 feet in elevation gain. The lake has a small dirt road leading up to it and several large multi-tent campsites. The lake is quite marshy and muddy and needs a water filter to take the smell out. The next morning, take the climb up 770 feet and 1.9 miles to the summit. Clouds often shroud the east view of Mt. Hood, but a view of Jefferson can be seen to the south. To get home, follow the Hunchback trail for 2.2 miles along the mountain ridge (sorry no views during the trip) until an unmarked trail to the left. A rather steep descent will follow and can be dangerous at times (especially when wet). After 3.0 miles and 2400 feet descent, you will ariver at the Green Canyon Campground enterance. You will need to hike about a mile west to get back to your car. The total trip is 15.5 miles long and 3400 feet elevation gain/loss.

Essential Gear


Good pair of shoes, water and any overnight gear you might need.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.