cbaLove this Place!

cba

Nice page. The Swell one of my favorite areas in Utah -- fun canyons, good climbing, and no crowds!
Posted Mar 10, 2006 11:44 pm

Dmitry Prussnice one Scott

Dmitry Pruss

probably needs some books links, maybe a word or two on history - farming, uranium, the arms depot, I-70? And a bit longer list of popular hikes?
Posted Mar 11, 2006 12:56 am

ScottRe: nice one Scott

Scott

Both books to the area have been added. Brief history will later, as I have seven more group pages I'm working on, so they will all be fairly basic at first.

I added a list of my favorite hikes. Hikes are coming in the form of a few route/canyon pages, but my own focus will be mostly on the more challenging and unknown ones, though a Goblin Valley page (and Iron Wash) is sure to come. I'll let others add the easy (and popular) hikes. More techncical canyon pages (such as Upper Iron) are certain to follow, so stay tuned. More peaks and tower pages will be coming too. Stay tuned for Temple Mountain, Mexican Mountain, Pinnacle #1, Chute Buttress, and Ernie Point climbs when I get the time.
Posted Mar 11, 2006 4:04 am

JasonHUntitled Comment

JasonH

This page is swell. Tons of info and a lot of great photos.
Posted Mar 14, 2006 3:57 am

lcarreauFascinating .. .

lcarreau

Stay tuned for Temple Mountain, Mexican Mountain, Pinnacle #1,
Chute Buttress, and Ernie Point when I get the time.

Scott, what I find most fascinating is your unique ability to
accomplish everything that you DO accomplish, irregardless of the
TIME. Do you operate your own 'engineering' business? How can you
afford to do everything that you do ??? ??

Inquiring minds want to know ...
Posted May 15, 2009 5:48 pm

ScottRe: Fascinating .. .

Scott

Do you operate your own 'engineering' business?

No. I actually work more than the average American. I work for the state and due to the nature of the business I can get a lot of time in winter and the edges of Spring and Fall. Taking vacation time off in summer is forbidden, but we shut down for holidays.

I actually usually relatively do little in the outdoors in summer. See last year’s log for example:

2008

Last summer and most of the fall I worked from 65-101 hours every week. If you read the log carefully you will see that many of the hikes/climbs in summer/fall were actually done after work and sometimes at night and in the dark! I didn’t have any other time to do them.

This year I’ve done a fair amount so far, but after Memorial Weekend, I won’t be able to get out much at all:

2009

On the plus side I can comp time much of my overtime and take more time off in the slow season which is when we do the most hiking/climbing. With very rare exceptions, spend all holidays out hiking and climbing. Holiday weekends like 4th of July, Labor Day, Christmas, New Years, etc. are spent hiking or climbing something. With comp time plus vacation time plus all weekends and holidays, I can get out a fair amount of time.

How can you afford to do everything that you do ??? ??

I make less than most people think (we’re right on average, which is good), but we find enough to go do. We don’t have TV so don’t spend money on things like that, we keep the house cool in the winter, don’t have air conditioning, hardly go out to eat or go to movies, etc. Most of all, other than the house we stayed out of debt so don’t have to worry about paying that off.

When growing up we didn’t have much money and later my wife and I were married just a few weeks from my 19th birthday. At the time (1993) I made $4.85 an hour working as a janitor and my wife made about the same working fast food. We really learned to stretch a dollar. Now, since we have a limit on how much time we can accumulate, I get time and a half for all the extra hours I have to work in late spring, summer and fall. In the slow season I also work four 10's, but Sunday is family/church day and usually afternoon hikes only.
Posted May 17, 2009 11:18 am