Sand Pass Road

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.72490°N / 113.4404°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2-4
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See the Getting There section on the main page for directions and GPS coordinates. Park your vehicle on the side of Sand Pass Road at the start of the 4WD trail. The 4WD trail can be driven with a high clearance vehicle up to the mouth of the canyon, saving you 2 miles (one way) and 800 feet of elevation gain.

Route Description

Although this route is entirely off trail (besides the 4WD trail), the brush is minor on this approach.



Round Trip Distance : 10 mi
Elevation Gain : 4200 ft

From Sand Pass Road follow the 4WD trail as it heads off in the western direction. After 2 miles you will reach the mouth of the canyon, shown on the far left of the previous photo. As you enter the canyon it will begin to open up, stay to the right. Follow the large drainage that breaks away from the open area on the right, it breaks away 0.6 mile after the mouth of the canyon. Continue for about 1.1 miles up this large drainage as it will become increasingly steeper. Eventually the drainage will end and you will be here.

Now, with a good view of the objective, follow the drainage on the left side of the cliff shown in the picture (far left). Follow this drainage up for approximately 1000 feet and it will end. You will be here. The summit is the peak in the center left of the picture. Stay to the left of the summit and go up; notice the cliff bands on the left, where they meet with the cliffs below the summit is a class 4 section. The class 4 section is a 15 foot wall where there are many small holds for your hands and feet. Past this, continue upwards towards the summit, the route to the summit will come into view (on the far left of the photo). Take this route to the summit.

Essential Gear

Bring plenty of water; there are no water sources along this approach.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.