Sandy ridge to summit

Sandy ridge to summit

March 3, 2021
nader
on Apr 1, 2021 4:49 pm
Image ID: 1059923

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
ZeeJay

ZeeJay - Apr 2, 2021 7:19 am - Hasn't voted

Hard sand

It's been interesting reading your reports on places I've been. I climbed Sand Mountain Jan 2019 during the government shutdown, so I didn't have to pay. The access road was unplowed and it was midweek, but I still saw an ATV. Fortunately, not until I was done. I had a lot more snow than you, but still encountered bare spots of unexpectedly hardened sand and wished for microspikes. I came to the conclusion that it was frozen. I had imagined billowy piles of soft sand with soft footing, but that was far from the case. I looked back at my pictures and I have a similar picture of where you turned around. The dune was a bit different for me, with two distinct sides, with the left about 1.5' higher, and a wee little 2" wide depression separating the two. I think I must have walked with the edges of my boots in that depression.

nader

nader - Apr 2, 2021 2:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Hard sand

Thanks for reading and voting,

Very different that all the other sand dunes I have seen (Colorado, Death Valley CA, New Mexico, Michigan etc). The cliffs on top really blew my mind. Is that not a real sand dune but a mountain buried in sand? Either way very interesting.

I now wish I had spent more time exploring the rest of the big dunes or the no motorized vehicles parts.

Utah is an amazing place.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2