Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - Dec 26, 2007 10:40 pm - Voted 10/10

Way to Go!

Thanks for building this site. It is a 10. The directions for crossing Terilingua Creek are superb. Wish we had them last year. Are you going to attach to Big Bend NP object?

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Dec 27, 2007 8:10 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Way to Go!

Thanks for looking and commenting, Sbrande. I would like to attach it to the Big Bend NP page, but right now there is no way for me to attach a route to a area/range page. Not sure why, but the option doesn't exist. I have PM'd the page owner and hope that he decides to put a link there. I might also PM the elves and suggest that they see if this "bug" can't be fixed. --mark d.

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Dec 27, 2007 12:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Way to Go!

Hey, it's attached now; I just didn't know the trick for making it happen! --mark d.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jan 6, 2008 3:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Other precautions

Mark, I might add that it's even more important than usual to lock cars and keep anything that might be of value out of sight, as the areas around Santa Elena and Boquillas Canyons are known for vehicle break-ins by thieves crossing the river.

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Jan 7, 2008 7:37 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Other precautions

I added a comment. I've only ever been to one national park trailhead where the rangers said break-ins weren't a problem, so the precaution seems somewhat standard. That trailhead, BTW, was to the Tall Tree Grove in Redwoods NP, where we had to get a combo to a locked gate before we could drive down to the TH. The ranger said it was better than the trailhead several miles away, because it didn't have break-ins like the other one.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jan 7, 2008 8:41 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Other precautions

It's a shame the problem's so widespread. I wasn't aware it was such an issue at the more popular, less remote trailheads.

Big Bend stood out in my memory because of the extra warnings from rangers about Cottonwood Campground and the Santa Elena TH.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Santa Elena Canyon Trail' main page