Sawmill Mountain Hike June 2014

Sawmill Mountain Hike June 2014

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 7, 2014
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Unnamed Image

Hiked to Sawmill Mountain on June 7, 2014.  Getting to the peak is simple but requires a bit of cross country navigation.  From the overlook trailhead at Mount Pinos head West on the trail into the Chumash Wilderness.  The western facing slope of Pinos is exposed and has few trees, bring plenty of sun protection for the afternoon on this section.  The trail descends a few hundred feet to a saddle between the two mountains.  There is a nice rock seventy five feet north of the trail in the saddle.  I recommend this as a great lunch spot.  From the saddle the trail descends up the East side of Sawmill mountain.  The trail does not switchback like it did on the Pinos side, but it does travel through a lovely Jeffrey Pine/White Fir forest.  After three quarters of a mile the trail begins to flatten out and heads due west, there are many social trails heading off the main trail.  My recommendation is to hike on a high point on the trail about one mile after the saddle, from this point head on an azimuth of 0 degrees.  You will cross country hike for a quarter of a mile through beautiful forest.  Sawmill mountain's peak is a long clearing in the forest.  You will reach the treeline and look directly west.  The large carin will be to your left.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sawmill MountainTrip Reports