Schrankogel

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.04740°N / 11.10130°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 11469 ft / 3496 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Schrankogel (3,496 m) is the second highest mountain in the Stubai Alps after Zuckerhuetl (3,505 m). It is the highest peak in the northern Stubai Alps. Schrankogel is a massive pyramid which towers above the northern Stubai Alps and offers spectacular views, eg of Hoher Seeblaskogel (3,235 m), Ruderhofspitze (3,473 m), Wilder Freiger/Cima Libera (3,418 m), and Oetztaler Wildspitze (3,772 m). It is a popular, though somewhat demanding, summit, both in summer and in winter. The easiest route is the standard ski route over the east ridge (in winter).

Schrankogel was first climbed by Pfarrer Schoepf from Gries im Sulztal (the local priest) via the west ridge in about 1840.

Standard Summer Route

From the Amberger Huette, head south over the flat bottom of the valley (called "In der Sulze"). Before you arrive at the end of this flat part, turn east (left) and ascend steeply to the lateral moraine on your left. Then the path follows the crest of the moraine. At an altitude of 2,624 m you get to a signpost saying "Zum Schrankogel". Turn left (the path which continues straight ahead leads to the east ridge). Ascend steeply to the Hohes Egg (2,820 m) and continue straight up to the west ridge (called "Franzensschneid"). Follow the ridge to the summit.. The ridge is not really difficult, but partly exposed.
The ascent from the Amberger Huette to the top takes 4 hours. The difference in altitude is 1,361 m.


Standard Ski Route

From the Amberger Huette, head south over the flat bottom of the valley (called "In der Sulze"). Before you arrive at the end of this flat part, turn east (left) and ascend to the Schwarzenbergferner (Ferner = glacier). Go up the glacier, keeping to its south-eastern (right) side. Beware of crevasses! When you are opposite the east ridge of Schrankogel (at an altitude of about 3,100 m), cross the glacier and ascend to the foot of the east ridge. Leave your skis there and climb over the east ridge to the top (1-2 hours). A pick and crampons may come in handy.
The ascent from the Amberger Huette to the top takes 4 to 5 hours. The difference in altitude is 1,361 m.

Ski Route Via The North-East Face

If conditions are good, you can also ascend via the north-east face, which is about 50 degrees steep. Beware of marginal crevasses! You can also ski down the north-east face. This descent is for perfect skiers only!
 
Schrankogel - NE Face
 

Getting There

By car: Innsbruck - motorway A 12 - exit Oetztal - Laengenfeld - Gries/Sulztal - car park (free of charge) - track to the Amberger Huette (on foot/on skis)

The ascent from Gries (1,572 m) to the Amberger Huette takes 1.5 hours. The difference in altitude is 563 m.

Accommodation

Amberger Huette (2,135 m): DAV; open February - beginning of May, and beginning of June - beginning of October; winter room open; +4352535605
 
Amberger Huette
 

Online Maps

Austrian Map online
Online digital maps of Austria (OEK 50, OEK 200 and OEK 500) by the BEV (Bundesamt für Eich- und Vermessungswesen) - in German


When To Climb

July - September, February - May


Mountain Conditions

Weather

Current avalanche conditions


External Links

Ascent to the Amberger Huette
Description of the route (in German), photo of the hut

Standard ski route
Description of the route (in German), photos

Summer route
Photos

Schrankogel
Report on an ascent in summer (in German) + photos

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Alpeiner BergeMountains & Rocks