Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Karl Helser

Karl Helser - May 1, 2006 7:24 pm - Voted 10/10

You DOG...!

Glad you made it. Now it won't be the same when I bag it. I've got a couple of pics I'll add. Good page Brian... We've waited a long time for this one.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - May 1, 2006 7:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: You DOG...!

Sorry man, did you get my email from last night? If you want, I will go back and bag this one with you. Maybe we could try another route. I basically just went to recon this one for us and ended up within striking distance so I nabbed it.

Look forward to your pics and thanks for the vote.

Bob Bolton

Bob Bolton - May 2, 2006 3:57 am - Voted 10/10

Re: You DOG...!

Dean says you didn't need snowshoes - what a difference a week can make. Our route used the ridge on the other side of the clearcut, and we avoided the east ridge, heading up into the basin just NE of the summit. Actually, we should have gone through the basin and up from there, but I headed for the ridge north of that basin thinking it might be less steep to traverse from up there over toward the east ridge. Anyway, we were pretty slow and ran out of time. I liked our route, however, because it seemed that the ridge would have been very difficult with the soft snow, and Dean was struggling mightily with his snowshoes that he has since returned to REI. The steep stuff on the ridge would not have been good. I'm hoping to try again this coming weekend.

Great page!

Bob

Dean

Dean - May 2, 2006 12:51 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: You DOG...!

The MSR Lightning Ascents do not work well on 25 degree slopes. Bob was using the MSR Denali Evo's and they are winners going both up and downhill. One of the more knowledgeable guys at REI said that the Lightnings are NOT good for the steeps and they gave me a full refund which was sweet. He said they are great for the flats (which Shreiner has very little of). 2800 feet of elevation gain in 2 miles rules out them Lightnings. My skiis would have been great for some of that stuff.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - May 2, 2006 3:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: You DOG...!

Thanks, Bob. There were only two spots on that ridge that had any difficulties. The first was a rock outcropping.gendarme that was easily passed on the south. The second was a steep section further towards the summit but I think these could be scrambled over if no snow.

The snow was perfect for crampons. Hard styrofoam. Would have been great but I left the crampons in the car. :- )

Good luck this weekend there.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Schreiner Peak' main page