Schwarzhorn via SW Flank and S Ridge

Schwarzhorn via SW Flank and S Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 31, 2004
Was planning on going to hike in the Bernese Alps and thanks to the help of Fred and Moni I ended up doing the Schwarzhorn with a friend. We ended up partying and drinking too much in Interlaken the night before so we didn't get to Grindelwald till close to 11:00. We took the gondola from Grindelwald (1034m) to First (2168m) for an easier approach. Although for 49 francs that's some expensive vertical. We arrived at First at around 11:30 and then moved out towards the Schwarzhorn. The trail to the base of the mountain is easily marked and follows the same route towards Grosse Scheidigg. Just past Distelboden the trail went left up towards a chairlift station and Chrinnenboden. At the base of the little Schilt ridge we moved left up into the scree and snow fields on the southwest flank. Following the hike up through the first snowfield we moved right through another snowfield at about 2600m or so. Past the final snowfield the trail moved onto the south ridge and followed the ridgeline north towards the summit. The initial ridge section was easy enough and then we went down the only climb on the route. It had a chain for safety measures but was easy enough to just climb down. The rock of the area and on the ridge in particular was very crumbly and shale like. We summited at about 1430 and stayed on top for 30 minutes looking at the panorama and the Wetterhorn, Schreckhorn, and Eiger across the valleys. The trip down was uneventful and full of fun once we hit the lower snowfield. Used the trekking poles just like ski poles and ski all the way down the field...fun. Brought me back to ski season. The trip down took around two hours and we made it back to First for the gondola about 1700. Great day trip for the weekend.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.