Second Water Trail (236)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 33.48740°N / 111.42682°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Second Water is a popular hiking trail in the Superstition Mountains east of Phoenix, Arizona. The hike starts at First Water Trailhead just north of Apache Junction. It goes up to Garden Valley, a 2400 ft high plateau that is covered by bushes and Cholla Cacti. It then drops into Boulder Canyon to end at the junction with Boulder Canyon Trail.

Map
Map

Getting There

From Apache Junction drive a few miles north on Route 88 past the sign for Lost Dutchman State Park until you see the sign for First water Trailhead. Turn right on dirt road and drive 2.5 miles to the end of the road at the trailhead. The dirt road was well graded and passable by any car when I was there.

Route Description

Place
Elevation
Distance
First Water Trailhead
2280 ft
zero miles
Second Water Trail
2230 ft
0.30 miles
Black Mesa Trail Jct
2410 ft
1.50 miles
Boulder Trail Jct
1920 ft
1.80 miles
Total
-
3.60 miles
Roundtrip
875 ft uphill
7.20 miles


Views at the trailhead.
View at First Water Trailhead
 

View near First Water Trailhead
 


At the trailhead, you will follow the Lost Dutchman Trail (#104) 0.3 mile southeast. You will have good views of the north face of the 5024 ft Flatiron Peak.
North face of Flatiron Peak
Flatiron Peak

North face of Flatiron Peak
Flatiron Peak


You will then reach the signed intersection with Second Water Trail (#236). Turn left and follow this trail into a small valley.
Beginnings of Second Water Trail
 

Beginnings of Second Water Trail
 

Side Valley
 


The trail soon makes a 90 degree turn and goes up to reach the edge of Garden Valley Plateau. You can look back to see the valley you climbed out of.
The valley the trail climbs out of
 


For the next mile or so, the trail will travel the surface of Garden Valley where there is an overabundance of green bushes and Cholla Cacti. You will also go by the signed intersection of Black Mesa Trail (#241).
Garden Valley Plateau
 

Garden Valley Plateau
 

Garden Valley Plateau
 


Look to the south to see the tip of the 4553 ft Weavers Needle coming to view at times.
Weavers Needle
Weavers Needle


The trail then reaches the base of the slopes of Hackberry Mesa.
Slopes of Hackberry Mesa
 

Slopes of Hackberry Mesa
 


The mountains known as Four Peaks will come to view to the northeast.
View of Four Peaks
Four Peaks

On Second Water Trail
 


You will then reach the edge of Garden Valley Plateau. The walls of the 2797 ft Battleship Mountain and 3479 ft Geronimo Head will be visible to the east.
Descent into Second Water Canyon
Geronimo Head & Battleship Mountain


The trail will then begin to descend into the valley of Second Water Creek steeply.
Descending into Second Water Canyon
 

Descending into Second Water Canyon
 

Descending into Second Water Canyon
 

Descending into Second Water Canyon
 

Descending into Second Water Canyon
 

Descending into Second Water Canyon
 


At the bottom of the descent you will go through a small area with lush grass and trees.
Lush
 

Lush
 


You will soon reach the signed junction with Boulder Canyon Trail (#103) where Second Water Trail ends.
Boulder Creek
 

Point 2420 ft
 

Boulder Canyon
 

Essential Gear

Hiking equipment.

When to Hike

Summer can become extremely hot. Spring and autumn may be best.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.