Secondary Route - East Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.26956°N / 117.76108°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Strenuous
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This route differs from the Primary Route in that you continue up Shoemaker Canyon Road until it terminates after the second tunnel.

The road itself thins down to a footpath. You follow this path until it shoots up the side of the primary eastern ridge. Follow this to the ridgecrest (takes awhile). Once atop the ridge, simply follow it up to the summit of Rattlesnake Peak.

There are a few frustrating false peaks along the way. They add to the fun.

Upon my visit, there was no real trail there, aside from what animals left behind. The foliage was thick in places. I've been told it's a bit easier to follow in several ascents after mine.

The ridgeline and surrounding views are really beautiful in winter. Activity dies down, and it's a bit more quiet and peaceful.

Essential Gear

Bring lots of water. Bring more than enough. It can get hot here in the summer, since you're at lower altitudes, and the ridge is pretty steep.

In the winter, this peak gets snow, but ice is not likely. Trekking poles would be a good idea in any season, as the soil is loose.

Table of Contents
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.