Seekofel circle

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.67500°N / 12.06570°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Medium
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Drive from the Pustertal valley approximately 12 Miles east of the small village of Brunneck to the south. A well marked street leads you to the small mountain lake called (Pragser Wildsee).

Route Description

Seekofel-circle (6 - 7 hours)

Ascend:
At the eastern side of the "Pragser Wildsee" on way No. 1 (dolomite elevation way) up to the south side of the lake. Then in zigzags through the forrest to a dip in approximately 2000 m height (approx. 1.25 hours). Rising at the right side itself of the opening high valley to rock path further, on short piece with steel cables secured. Over a rock stage at a way character to the west swivelling the high valley under the south wall of the Seekofel to pass (2380 m) above the Seekofel hut (Seekofelhuette, Rifugio Biella, 2327 m) rise. Then ascend the southeast burr of the Seekofel on not marked, but clearly visible way in close zigzags. After a well accessible steep stage secured with chains the way becomes steadily flatter and leads - marked with stone men - in more easily upward gradient across the far summit surface to the summit (approx. 1 hour starting from saddle). Outstanding round view over dolomites, the alpine main comb and the lake (Pragser Wildsee) lying to feet.

Descend:
Starting from the pass in few minutes downwards to the Seekofel hut. Follow about 10 minutes the access-drive to the west. At a clearly marked way follow the way No. 23 (narrow path) for approximately 1 hour over the hilly meadows of the Sennes plateau (very beautiful region, not overcrowded). At the crossing with path No. 24 turn to the north and approach the narrow Seitenbachscharte. Descend from there over a well marked path in close zigzags, partly steep, over crushed stone surfaces down to the timber line. Then descend usually parallel of the small stream through mountain forest, until the broad drive is reached on approximately 1530 m. Now in few minutes comfortably back to the lake (Pragser Wildsee).
(about 2 - 2.5 hours starting from Seekofel hut).

Essential Gear

Hiking gear, weather-proof cloth

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.