Selkirk Gulch Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.38480°N / 105.9262°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2 with route finding
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview








Volz Benchmark from the saddleVolz Benchmark from the saddle
14 June 2009
This pleasant, off trail route takes the hiker up Selkirk Gulch over terrain where elk droppings outnumber boot prints. Following the Selkirk Gulch drainage, the hiker ascends to an unnamed saddled just below the summit of Volz Benchmark. Route finding over loose, somewhat steep, talus brings the hiker to the broad summit plateau where a summit cairn, rudimentary rock shelter and USGS marker, complete with summit register jar, await.

Distance: 3.5 miles RT
Elevation Gain: 1,600 ft.
Lumpy UN 12,700Lumpy UN 12,700 across the saddle
14 June 2009

Getting There

From U.S. Hwy 285 and Rd 33 at Como
  • Take Park County Rd 33 northwest through Como.

  • At Robert’s Cabin, take a hairpin turn to the right to stay on Route 33 (Boreas Pass Road -- see brown Forest Service sign to Boreas Pass).

  • Keep an eye out for “Rocky Point”, a point of interest on your left.

  • Two miles past Rocky Point the road will pass over the creek draining from Selkirk Gulch.

  • A small pullout that holds several vehicles will be available on the west side of the road.

  • Your summit objective will be visible almost due east from the parking area.


From CO Hwy 9 south of Breckenridge
  • South of Breckenridge, locate Boreas Pass Road (Summit County Hwy 10).

  • Follow this road south for about 6 miles to the summit of the pass.

  • Continue about 2.7 mile south of Boreas Pass where the road passes over the creek draining from Selkirk Gulch.

  • A small pullout that holds several vehicles will be available on the west side of the road.

  • Your summit objective will be visible almost due east from the parking area.


Volz Benchmark from parkingVolz Benchmark from parking
14 June 2009

Route Description

From the parking area, the top of Volz Benchmark can be seen to your almost due east.

  • Carefully cross Boreas Pass Road and ascend a steep embankment on the east side of the road.

  • A very faint old road will carry you into Selkirk Gulch.

  • Follow the stream up Selkirk Gulch for about 1.5 mile to a broad, open saddle.

  • Nearing the saddle, the summit of Volz Benchmark will loom above you to your south (right).

  • From near the top of the saddle, turn southwest toward the summit of Volz Benchmark.

  • A faint social trail might be discernable at this point to the observant hiker.

  • Select your own route up the loose talus; the best route may vary depending on snow pack.

  • Enjoy the views from the broad summit area.

Selkirk Gulch RouteClick on image to enlarge


Essential Gear







More loose talusMore loose talus
14 June 2009
  • Trail map (Trails Illustrated #109: Breckenridge, Tennessee Pass would meet most needs)

  • Compass

  • Sturdy hiking boots

  • Water and snacks

  • A camera to save memories of the high country views

  • First aid kit

  • Other standard backcountry essentials
Loose Talus on Volz BenchmarkLoose Talus on Volz Benchmark
14 June 2009


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.