Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 51.27333°N / 117.44°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 4543 ft / 1385 m
Sign the Climber's Log

****

I’ve only been here three times, once driving through in 2001, hiking in 2007, & again in 2009 for an early season romp up Cheops Mountain. That said, this page was constructed as a parent to the few B.C. Selkirk peaks currently represented on SP. Anyone interested in adopting and improving this page, please speak up.

Overview

Mount Sir Donald
The Selkirks are located in southeastern British Columbia. A stunning, glaciated range much overshadowed by its nearby neighbor, the Canadian Rockies, the peaks contained here might impress one as something of a cross between the North Cascades and the High Sierra of California. Much of the range is contained within Glacier National Park.

Getting There

The Trans-Canada Highway runs through the middle of the range at Rogers Pass, between Revelstoke and Golden, some 4 hours from the international airports in both Calgary, Alberta and Kamloops, British Columbia.

The pass, which sits at 4543 feet, boasts a gas station and convenience store, a Best Western ($150/night in July 2007) with a reasonably priced but so-so buffet after 5:30 PM, and a visitor’s center.

Red Tape

National Park Passes are required for all vehicles stopping in Glacier National Park. These passes can be gotten from the visitor’s center at Rogers Pass. As I recall, the passes are a touch pricey, about $17 or so a day. Backcountry Wilderness Passes are also required for individuals camping in the backcountry of the park.

Camping/Accommodations

Beyond the obvious comfy stay you can get at the Best Western at Rogers Pass, a number of campgrounds also inhabit the area. Closely, one can choose to stay at the Illecillewaet Campground, or the Wheeler Hut (call the ACC at 403-678-3200 to book a spot in the hut), both of which are less than a 2-mile drive from the pass.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.