Senator Wash Desert, California, Colorado River

Senator Wash Desert, California, Colorado River

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Feb 7, 2023
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter

Overview

On Google Earth, I had seen what looked like colorful, eroded and barren Lands on the California side of Colorado River near Imperial Dam north of Yuma, Arizona. I did a 6.5-mile hike exploring the area and climbed a 445 ft high hill with good views. ATV tracks crisscrossed the area. Fortunately, I did not see or hear ATVs, or any other hikers for that matter.

 

 

Trip Report

 

Hike length: 6.54 miles

Elevation Range: 200 ft to 445 ft (Colorado River Elevation:180 ft)

Total ascent: 1927 ft per my GPS, 1158 ft per Google Maps, 891 ft per Caltopo (The discrepancy might be due to the extreme amounts of small ups and downs that might be difficult to show on a map)

 

 

 

February 7, 2023

 

Left Yuma, Arizona at 6:50 AM (sunrise 7:30 AM) and drove to Imperial Dam Long Term Campground in California. Was astonished to see hundreds of RVs on the desolate looking campground. Went beyond Imperial Dam Campground on the dirt road toward Senator Wash North Shore Campground. In one place, the dirt road went down and then up steeply. I did not have four-wheel drive, but the rental pickup truck did fine.

 

Did not want to keep driving that road so I parked at a spot with ample parking space and began my hike at 7:50 Arizona time (6:50 California time). Where I parked, turned out to be around one third of a mile before the start of the path that I had entered into my GPS, so I started to hike the road. Camping RVs and trailers could be seen here and there but nothing like the crazy density that I had seen at Imperial Dam Campground. View of Senator Wash Reservoir and Point 472 ft.

 

Senator Wash Reservoir and Point 472 ft
Senator Wash Reservoir and Point 472 ft

 

Reached a place where a wall dropped down into a dry desert wash. Did not see campers or people after that.

 

Looking north
Looking north

 

Backtracked a little and found a way down the slopes into the bottom of the wash.

 

Going down into a wash
Going down into a wash

 

Went up a black barren slope on the north side of the wash to a saddle. A beaten ATV track could be seen on the other side.

 

From saddle
From saddle

 

Continued north until the area opened up to give me a good view of the colorful barren landscape to the north.

 

Badlands to the north
Badlands to the north

 

Turned east going down a drainage toward Colorado River.

 

Hiking down a drainage
Hiking down a drainage

 

A glimpse of the Colorado River.

 

Colorado River
Colorado River

 

Following the path that I had entered into my GPS, I turned north traversing a slope parallel to the banks of the Colorado River. As I had seen on Google Earth and satellite images, reaching the river would have involved travel through swampy bushlands so I did not even attempt.

 

Colorado River, traversing a slope
Colorado River, traversing a slope

 

Looking east at Colorado River and Arizona on the other side.

 

Looking east, Colorado River, Arizona on the other side
Looking east, Colorado River, Arizona on the other side

 

Looking south at the slope I had traversed.

 

Colorado River
Colorado River

 

Continuing north would have taken me to the top of a wall that dropped into a wash, therefore I turned west and began to go down easier slopes.

 

Point 545 ft
Point 545 ft
Going down into a canyon
Going down into a canyon

 

 

Really colorful, getting near the bottom of the wash.

 

Colorful
Colorful

 

Hiking west at the bottom of the wash.

 

Inside a canyon
Inside a canyon

 

Did not want to stay at the bottom of the wash where the views were limited so I began to go up a slope.

 

Climbing out of canyon
Climbing out of canyon

 

Near the top with Point 545 ft visible.

 

Point 545 ft, climbing out of a canyon
Point 545 ft, climbing out of a canyon

 

Amazing views from the top.

 

Badlands
Badlands

 

Wandering up and down the badlands. The ground was dirt as hard as concrete with loose gravel all over it. Some of the slopes became very steep. A slip and fall on the gravel would have caused much pain if not fractures. Eyeballed a hill in the distance and decided to climb it and then return. Later, on the USGS Map, I noted that the hill that I had eyeballed was Point 445 ft.

 

Point 445 ft
Point 445 ft
Point 545 ft
Point 545 ft

 

 

Was surprised to see manure in many places. What kind of hardy creature lived there? Desert Goats? Every now and then, I heard what sounded like distant explosions. It wasn’t until later when I figured that the sound must have been coming from the nearby army proving grounds.

 

Ended up going down to the bottom of a wide wash where there was a lot of vegetation.

 

inside a canyon
inside a canyon

 

Up on the other side of the wash, I reached an ATV track. To avoid running into crazy steep slopes, I decided to follow the track. It actually turned out to take me toward my chosen Hill 445 ft.

 

 

Point 545 ft on the left and Point 445 ft on the right
Point 545 ft on the left and Point 445 ft on the right

Below the top of Hill 545 ft.

 

Summit of Point 545 ft
Summit of Point 545 ft

 

Another view of Hill 445 ft.

 

Point 445 ft on the right
Point 445 ft on the right

 

Went up the slopes to reach the summit of Hill 445 ft which was a narrow and airy feeling ridgeline. Found a place wide enough to take my backpack off and put it on the ground. The whole time that I was there, I was concerned that the backpack or myself might tumble off the edge on either side. It was 10:10 AM and I had hiked 3.73 miles.

 

 

 

 

Looking southeast at the Colorado River.

 

Looking SE, Colorado River
Looking SE, Colorado River

 

Looking south.

 

Looking south, Colorado River
Looking south, Colorado River

 

Looking southwest, Hill 545 ft seen.

 

Looking southwest, Point 545 ft
Looking southwest, Point 545 ft

 

Looking northwest along the ridgeline.

 

Looking northwest
Looking northwest

 

Looking north.

 

Looking north
Looking north

 

Looking northeast.

 

Looking northeast
Looking northeast

 

Zoomed view of Castle Dome Peak to the northeast.

 

Zoomed view of Castle Dome Peak
Zoomed view of Castle Dome Peak

 

After eating and enjoying the views, I left at 10:30 AM going down the steep slope, then got on the ATV track and began to follow it south the way I had come. Looking back at Hill 445 ft.

 

Hill 445 ft on the right
Hill 445 ft on the right

 

More views along the way.

 

Badlands
Badlands
Badlands
Badlands

 

Badlands
Badlands

 

Hill 545 ft.

 

Point 545 ft
Point 545 ft

 

Point 545 ft
Point 545 ft

 

 

The track went down a very steep slope to reach the bottom of the wash making me wonder how any vehicle could climb that slope without tipping over. As I was wondering about that, I slipped and the weight of my body fell on my left thumb. Fortunately, nothing broke and I was able to move my thumb but noted a couple of dirt filled wounds that began to bleed. Had forgot to bring my first aid kit. Washed the wound with water, wrapped it with toilet paper and put a glove on to keep the paper in place.

 

Going down into canyon
Going down into canyon

 

Bottom of the wash.

 

In canyon
In canyon

 

Climbing out of the wash on the south side.

 

Climbing out of canyon
Climbing out of canyon

 

Badlands
Badlands

 

The track faded away. To avoid the endless maze of badland ups and downs, I went to the southeast and began to traverse a slope that avoided all difficulties. View of the colorful badlands.

 

Points 545 ft and 445 ft on the left
Points 545 ft and 445 ft on the left
Badlands
Badlands

 

 

Zoomed view of Arizona’s Castle Dome Peak.

 

Zoomed view of the tip of Castle Dome Peak
Zoomed view of the tip of Castle Dome Peak

 

Going up the black hill to reach the saddle where I had come from in the morning.

 

Saddle
Saddle

 

Last look back north at the badlands.

 

Looking back at badlands
Looking back at badlands

 

Going down from the saddle to cross the last wash. Campers at Senator Wash North Shore seen.

 

Down into wash
Down into wash

 

Hiked the road back to my truck where I arrived at 12:08 PM. Senator Wash Reservoir and Point 472 ft.

 

Senator Wash reservoir and Point 472 ft
Senator Wash reservoir and Point 472 ft

 

 

 



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.