Sheep Mountain Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.95300°N / 105.921°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This short but steep hike leads you through beautiful aspen and pine forests with spectacular panoramic views all the way to the top of the mountain.

Getting There

From US 40 north of Tabernash turn into Snow Mountain Ranch. Drive through the ranch staying on Grand Country road 53 which at one point takes a sharp right. Always head towards Columbine Point. At one point the road branches off into three roads, point at which you should continue down the middle road. Arrive at beautiful Columbine Point and park in the small parking lot. Walk to the far side of the lake and you should immediately see the signs pointing you towards Sheep Mountain.

Route Description

The route will traverse over three false summits before hitting the top. From the road around the lake, the trail climbs steeply through beautiful Aspen and Pine Forests. The trail becomes very steep before finally climbing to the summit of the first peak. Enjoy the views from the summit of first peak, they are phenomenal. From the top of first peak, the trail continues steeply along the rocky ridge. At many points, the views clear to the west, revealing a panorama of the entire Gore Range and the Byers Peak massif further south. Continue over peak two up to the top of peak three. At the top of peak three, the trail starts to descend again down to the saddle between peak three and the summit. From the saddle it's a short easy walk, to the true summit and great views through the trees in every direction. Retrace your steps on the return.

Essential Gear

Nothing more than standard hiking gear. In winter and early spring snowshoes would be very helpful.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

pkkrusty - Jun 26, 2013 12:25 pm - Hasn't voted

False peaks

There are five identified peaks with markers. The final peak has a survey marker about ten feet from the highest spot.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.