Sheep Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

From the parking spot, start heading south across the desert flats, then southwest up this obvious drainage. The terrain is open at this point, but it will quickly narrow as you enter the canyon. Continue up the drainage and enter the narrow canyon. It would be extremely hot in here during the summer months. Continue south up this canyon all the way to a small saddle at 2,320'. There isn't much routefinding required here. The only way to go is up. On the way, you will pass by some water diversion tanks. The canyon involves some bushwhacking and rock scrambling, but it isn't difficult. The saddle is due west of Sheep Mountain.

From the saddle, start heading northeast up the steep, rocky terrain. Continue climbing up until you reach the top of a rugged ridge that first heads northeast, then turns southeast towards the summit. Make the final push southeast up to the rocky summit, where you can enjoy the desert views.

Hiking Distance: About 4 miles round trip.
Elevation Gain: About 2,400'.




Geography
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.