Shikellamy Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.44500°N / 76.822°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (Class 1)
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the "Getting There" section of the main page.

Route Description


This route follows the blue-blazed Shikellamy Trail on a six mile round-trip distance. The hike is pretty straightforward. You'll head northeast for about a mile on a gentle slope through stands of White Pine. You'll then climb into a bowl and hike to the top of the ridgeline where you'll intersect the Appalachian Trail. Head South (really west) on the A.T. and continue for a mile to Shikellamy Rocks. From here you'll get a fine view south-southeast. You'll then follow the narrow ridgeline for another mile to the goal of these two summits, Shikellamy Overlook. From this rock outcropping you'll get a 180 degree panorama that includes the entire Clarks Valley. Head back down the same way in a total distance of six miles with 900 feet of elevation gain.

Essential Gear


Comfortable hiking boots, water/snacks, trekking poles, and a camera.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.