Ship Island Lake route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.14830°N / 114.6113°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is a beautiful scramble past lovely lakes up a class 2-3 ridge to the summit plateau between the north and true summits.

Sheepeater from halfway down Ship Island LakeMuch of the route as seen from Ship Island Lake

Getting There

This route begins at Ship Island Lake, 10 to 11 miles from the Crags Campground trailhead. This lake, one of Idaho's lovliest, has great camping. Refer to the guidebooks mentioned on the main page for more detailed information on how to get there.

Route Description

From the east side of Ship Island Lake, go around the south shore to the creek draining Ship Island Lake number 2 (roughly 8000). Walk that lake's east shoreline to the stream coming down from the lake above (roughly 8400). From that lake, start to the NE for about 350 feet of vertical and then pick up the mostly east west ridge coming off the north summit of Sheepeater (the USGS topo does not show there being a north summit, but it is located right at the point where the north ridge drops off and becomes a rugged face). Head east and climb that ridge, which is mostly tree covered until up high, up to the broad plateau that defines the summit and north ridge of the mountain. From here, either summit is an easy class two boulder hop. Short sections of the route are class 3. Searching may be needed to find the easiest way. There is some deadfall near the lakes. I personally descended this way, which made the routefinding easier than it might be going up. Enjoy the incredible views. The route from Ship Island lake should take 1.5-3.5 hours for nearly everyone.

Essential Gear

Routefinding abilities and maps, sturdy shoes. Bring whatever else you are used to using for a scrambling adventure deep in the wilderness.

External Links



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.