Paudwar Route

Paudwar Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 28.27170°N / 83.67570°E
Additional Information Route Type: Trek
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

This is an alternate route that parallels the Beni Route. See the Beni Route where it mentions Sikha for details.


Route Description

Although this route parallels the main track from Ghorapani to Tatopani, the track is little used by trekkers. We stayed in the village of Paudwar, which was one of the best experiences we had in Nepal. Apparently we were the only trekkers to visit Paudwar between October 2000 and December 2001, even though the route is close to a popular trekking route. The trail is steeper and more difficult than the main route, but the people were friendly in the village, and the village is less touristy than the ones along the main track. The trail is hard to find without a guide/porter that speaks the language. A porter usually only cost $5 a day (in 2001), and is well worth the money. Because you will probably need a guide, the route will only be described very briefly. From Ghorapani, descend down to the village of Sikha as described above in the Beni Route Description. It is here where you will leave the main trail. From Sikha, head east along the trail and cross the Ghara Khola river on what we call the “Indiana Jones Bridge” (as it was in 2001). You will see why we call it that when you cross! From here, the trail winds through intermitted forest and fields before reaching the village of Paudwar. Paudwar has a cheese factory (that’s yak cheese!) and the locals would love to give you a little tour. There are also many yak pastures and mountain views if you climb the steep slopes above the village. There was only one place to stay in the village as of December 2001, and you stay with a Nepali family. From Paudwar, the trail descends (with some up and downs) very steeply to the confluence of the Ghara Khola and Kali Gendaki and joins the main track described in the Beni Route Description.

Dualagiri from the trail to...Dualagiri from the trail to Paudwar.

Essential Gear

A good pair of boots is needed.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Poon HillRoutes