From Teryho Chata via Baranie Sedlo

From Teryho Chata via Baranie Sedlo

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 49.12100°N / 20.11800°E
Additional Information Route Type: hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: walk-up (UIAA 0)
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Teryho Chata (how to get to Teryho Chata look at main page of Baranie Rohy)

Route Description



It is the easiest rout on Baranie Rohy and I think a most popular non-marked rout in Tatra made by “normal” tourists (non-climbers) without guide – of course illegally :) If you have time – an excellent continuation of this trip is descend to Chata pri Zelenom Plese through Vel’ka Zmrzla (Dzika) Valley.

Time:
Teryho Chata - Baranie Sedlo 1h 30 min
Baranie Sedlo - Baranie Rohy 30 min

1. Teryho Chata (2015m) – Baranie Sedlo (2393m)

Staying before Teryho Chata you’ll see a characteristic summit of Baranie Rohy (in the north direction) with a large, sloping, scree terrace on a top. The destination of our rout’s first part – Baranie Sedlo – is in the south direction from the summit, now hidden from our sight. But you should see a distinct path going there, marked by cairns.

Take this path: first it goes on the right (east) shore of Postredne Spisske Pleso (Posredni Spiski Staw), next ascend through screes between Pysny Stit’s massif on the right and high, rocky slope on the left to a little scree dell – in the bottom on your left hand lies a periodical lake (Baranie Pliesko), which is the highest situated lake in Tatra.

Now, you can see Baranie Sedlo with a shallow, not all too steep chute, often filled up by snow till summer. Climb up or by the bottom of this chute or if there is a snow by its left rib.

2. Baranie Sedlo (2393m) – Baranie Rohy (2526m)

On the pass turn left (north-west) and still following cairns climb to ridge’s rocks. After 15m traverse to the left through a rib and beyond it go down to a chute. Next climb up by a scree bottom of this chute through a few rocky steps till the place, where our chute widen itself. Here turn left and go through a few little ribs on a range of a large, scree terrace, which leads us to the top.

Essential Gear



in summer: normal hiking gear
in winter: crampons, ice axe

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.