Ski route (trail #18D)

Ski route (trail #18D)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.63940°N / 11.06340°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Route overview


  • Altitude difference:
  • 750m / 2378ft
  • Duration:
  • about 2-3 hours (ascent)
  • Trail head:
  • Kappl (859m / 2818ft) near Unterammergau
  • Difficulty:
  • Hike


    Approach


    Trailhesad is the small village Kappl near Unterammergau. To get there you' ll have to drive from Unterammergau to Bad Kohlgrub (on road B23) and a few hundret metres after leaving Unterammergau a small road (easily overlooked!) turns right. Watch out for the church of Kappl! For more information about reaching Unterammergau or Bad Kohlgrub take a look at the Getting There section of the main page.
    Reaching Kappl by train is a bit more difficult. I recommend to take the train to Unterammergau and follow one of the trails to Bad Kohlgrub. Visit the hompage of DBahn for more information about trains to/from Unterammergau

    Trail 18D starts at Kappl and goes along the small supply road which leads to the east.

    Route Description


    Trail #18D starts at the parking lot at Kappl and is alos called Maximiliansweg there. But yuo have to be careful, because Maximiliansweg turns left and trail #18D continues straight ahead (near Hörnlehut they met again).
    The trail continues along the gentle but quite steep slope up to Wildeck (meaning something like "wild corner"). At Wildeck the trail enters the forrest and here the summit is not far any more.
    Finally you' ll get to a further seperation. The one goes up to the summit, the other keeps on the same elevation and circumvents the summit of Mittleres Hörnle (1496m / 4908ft).

    Essential Gear


    In summer hiking gear is sufficient.
    During the winter months snow shoes or skies are recommended, but it works with hiking gear as well.

    Miscellaneous Info


    If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    HoernleRoutes