Shut-Ins Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.26180°N / 90.5244°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike - about six miles round-trip
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See the "Getting There" section on the main Mudlick Mountain page for directions to the trailhead.

Route Description


From the trailhead begin hiking northwest to a junction. At the junction take the Shut-Ins trail to the right. Taking the left trail will get you to the same location but the Shut-In trail is more scenic.

Follow the Shut-Ins trail for about a mile and a half along Big Creek enjoying the water. From about mile one and a half to mile two the trail begin s to climb up the north side of Mudlick Mountain. Along this stretch are three stone shelters built in the early 1900's by the Civilian Conservation Corp. These all make great places for an overnight backpack with the first or lowest having the best views out over Big Creek.

Continue up past the third shelter to a trail junction. Take the left trail up the north ridge of Mudlick Mountain. At the next junction take another left to the summit fire tower. The summit is about one mile above the highest shelter.

Essential Gear


Standard hiking gear is adequate. Bring backpacking gear and extra water for a great overnight stay at one of the CCC stone shelters. Check on the status of these shelters at the Sam A. Baker State Park website.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.