Signal Knob/Mt. Maneka Loop

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.96100°N / 78.331°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is a nice 10 mile loop hike taking in the best of Signal Knob and several nearby vistas. It takes in portions of two long-distance trails, the Big Blue Trail and the Massanutten Trail. The hike can be done from either the Elizabeth Furnace area (five miles south of US55 on VA678) or the Signal Knob trailhead (four miles south of US55 on VA678). The description here is for the counter-clockwise hike starting at the Signal Knob TH.

Route Description

From the Signal Knob TH, follow yellow/orange blazes on the Massanutten Trail as it climbs north past a spring to the ridgeline. Enjoy views of Buzzard Rocks across the valley at 1.2 miles and along the length of Fort Valley at 2.0 miles. Pass a small campsite at 2.7 miles. Bear right at the junction with the Maneka Peak Trail (white blazes) at 3.3 miles and descend slightly along the ridge to Signal Knob at 4.3 miles. Enjoy the view.

From Signal Knob, descend a gravel road south-west (the Little Passage Creek Trail, orange blazes) for one mile to the intersection with the Bear Wallow-Big Blue trail (blue blazes). Cross the creek and ascend the ridge to an intersection with the Maneka Peak Trail (white) at about 6.0 miles. Continue on the Bear Wallow-Big Blue trail as it descends back down toward Passage Creek. At 9.3 miles, a short side trail will take you to Elizabeth Furnace. Stay high and traverse another 0.5 miles to the Signal Knob parking area.

Shorter options can be had by taking the Maneka Peak Trail and avoiding the descent along the Little Passage Creek.

Essential Gear

This is a pretty moderate hike and nothing but standard day-hiking gear is required. Bring a camera and submit photos to SummitPost!


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.