Smooth Emerald Milkshake Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
McCannster

McCannster - Feb 27, 2011 10:48 pm Date Climbed: Feb 26, 2011

First Cody route  Sucess!

My first route in Cody, and first time climbing ice outside of Ouray. Very fun trip, our group consisted of a total of 7 peopl in 3 parties. Didn't lead anything, but had a blast following. Hiked back in the dark. 12.5 hours ctc.

rhyang

rhyang - Feb 27, 2007 3:25 pm Date Climbed: Feb 3, 2007

Classic long route  Sucess!

Climbed with Keith. The hike in from Deer Creek trailhead was long, as advertised. There was thin ice on the rappel down to Deer Creek from the gully, and the creekbed was mostly frozen and snow-covered. Mostly :)

Started roping up around 11am ? Keith led the first short WI4 pitch, and we slogged/bouldered the rest of the way to the next WI3 pitch, which was mine. It was about the limit of my ice leading abilities - sustained 80 degrees. Keith led the next pitch, a WI4 curtain followed by a ledge, and then more WI4-ish terrain followed by another ledge. I led up from there on easier terrain.

It was getting late, so we started rapping. Got back to creekbed in the dark, headlamps on. Keith led up the easy mixed back to the gully, and we hiked out with the wind blowing and full moon out ... a 13 hour adventure. Good stuff !

(reading the guidebook, I think we may have skipped the last few bulges / curtains, but they apparently are not very high)

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Smooth Emerald Milkshake' main page