Smuggler Mountain, Bald Knob and Mount Yeckel January 17-21 2009

Smuggler Mountain, Bald Knob and Mount Yeckel January 17-21 2009

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report

January 17-21 Trip

January 17-18: Smuggler Mountain (Colorado)

On day 1, Kimberly (my wife), my Father (Russell), Linda Jagger, Tom Jagger, Christy, Georgia and climbed up to Benedict Hut right near the top of Smuggler Mountain east of Aspen. There were perfect views of the Elk Range and the weather couldn’t have been better or January (there was not a cloud in the sky). On day 2 we headed down the mountain and stayed in Basalt.

January 19-21: Bald Knob and Mount Yeckel (Colorado)

On day 1, Kimberly (my wife), my Father (Russell), Linda Jagger, Tom Jagger, Christy, Georgia, Dave and I climbed to the McNamara Hut east of Aspen. Dave is a newspaper reporter so he will write up the trip in the Colorado Springs Gazette.

After dropping the packs, everyone but Kimberly headed up to the summit of Bald Knob for some spectacular views of the Elk Range. We saw everything from Star Mountain, the Pearl Mountains and Castle all the way to Mount Sopris and all the 14ers in the Elk Range. It was an excellent climb.

On day 2, Christy headed down and everyone else made the long traverse down to Woody Creek and up Spruce Creek to Margy’s Hut. We were all tired by the time we reached the hut, but everyone except Kimberly and my father made the climb to the summit of Mount Yeckel. Mount Yeckel had some excellent views of both the Elk Range and the Holy Cross Wilderness. I lagged behind in order to get some great zoom shots of the rest of the crowd climbing the peak with the even bigger peaks in the background. After enjoying the superb views from the summit we headed down just in time to watch the sunset over the mountains from Margy’s Hut.

On Day 3, we all headed back down and headed for home. We enjoyed more excellent views of the Elk Range and finished the five day trip with another cloudless winter day.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Smuggler MountainTrip Reports
 
Mount YeckelTrip Reports
 
Bald KnobTrip Reports