Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 38.07170°N / 107.4614°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 1, 2004
 The backside of Uncompahgre
Remember I am from Central Texas. Left Lake City @ 8:30 a.m..
The road up to the trailhead is one incredible 4WD experience. I was bouncing like a ball. A one lane, gravel and rock rollercoaster of a ride. Scary at times. Take it real slow. I was never so glad to reach flat solid ground! The hike from the trailhead is a class 1. There are some spots that I would say are a class1+. The real hike begins at the intersection with the Wetterhorn Peak trail. From this point you immediately come to a Class 2 hill. I was tested physically here. Then the trail levels off for the next 100 feet or so. Get ready for what I call "switchback hell." A series of 4-5 steep switchbacks that lead to the back-side of the peak. Hiked up to 14,000 feet and it began to snow. Remember coming from Central Texas we rarely if ever see snow. This is a real treat for me. However a rapidly approaching rain storm cut my ascent short. On the way down it began to sleet. Fortunately I was prepared for all this.Proper preparation is a must for anyone attempting these heights.I recommend this hike for anyone. Some real extremists were going up to the summit as we are descending. Never quite understood taking such chances.


Comments

No comments posted yet.