Snow Lake Peak Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Oct 8, 2011 5:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Approach notes

The long approach description given here borders on the bizarre. It takes you well out of your way to Liberty Pass, over Liberty Peak and then a long ridgeline traverse to Snow Lake Peak. The direct route from the parkinglot to Snow Lake is no more than class 2 and involves very mild bushwhacking. The brush is of the low, alpine variety, and there is plenty of room to weave a path through it.

asmrz

asmrz - Jul 31, 2019 5:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Road's End Approach

My wife Penelope and I did the route from Road's End. We simply drove to the end of the road and hiked directly WEST and up hill to the peak. This is much shorter than what is described in the OP. The peak is hidden behind another large outcropping, but soon appears on the horizon. We did this approach on snow, with crampons and ski poles in June, but later in the year, it would be just as easy. The approach described in the Snow Lake Peak page is way too long and unnecessary.

We started to scramble from the extreme left margin of the peak (as you look up and at it) and diagonaled up the face. I drew the route on the photo and included it here.

The route I described and drawn on the picture here is NOT the regular route. I saw a drawing of the normal route somewhere on the Internet and it starts partially on the other side of the peak. Our variation is most likely a bit harder than the regular route....On Peakbagger.com I found photo and drawing of the regular route. I included it on this page.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Snow Lake Peak' main page