Snowbowl Approach

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.32310°N / 111.6603°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1, 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


This hike starts at the AZ Snow Bowl; the same trail that leads up Humphreys Peak. To get there Take US 180 going to the Grand Canyon. Turn north on the Snow Bowl Rd. Follow the road to the Humphreys trail Parking lot.

Route Description


This is the longest, but easiest route up Fremont. Take the Humphreys trail about 3 miles to the saddle. Then take the Weatherford trail for about 1 1/2 miles. Get off the trail at the saddle between Fremont and Agassiz. When you?re on the Weatherford trail hiking down to the saddle study the southern ridge of Fremont. You will see a green clearing of the forest on the inside of the ridge. You want to hike up that clearing for about 300 feet. It is the easiest way up the ridge. Once on top of the ridge stay on the outside of the ridge (the side that Flagstaff is visible). Follow that staying just below the ridge, bushwhacking and climbing over dead trees until you reach your next ascent. This ascent is the most difficult part of the whole climb. You?re hiking on loose gravel the whole way up causing you to slide on every step. It's very tiresome. Climb that for about 350 vertical feet. The trip to the peak itself is about 6 miles, climbing over a pass there and back.

Essential Gear


If there is snow in the Inner Basin still then crampons are recommended. Usually snow is melted off by the end of June.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.