Snowdonia Under Snow

Snowdonia Under Snow

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Ice Climbing, Hiking, Skiing, Wildlife, Flora, Scenery, Panorama

Snowdonia

The Snowdonia National Park is home to some of Britain’s most outstanding scenery which is even more special when covered in snow. The Parks name might suggest that the area receives a good amount of snow come winter, however due to its proximity to the sea this is rarely the case. It is possible to trace the origin of the name as far back as the 16th century when it just referred to the area directly around Snowdon and the Glyders. The name Snowdonia is derived from the Welsh name for the area 'Eryri' which was thought to refer to the welsh word for snow 'eira'. However, Eryri is more likely to be derived from the word 'eryr' which means eagle, or it could simply mean 'Highland', a theory that is presently extremely popular.

So please add your winter photographs of Snowdonia to this album.

"Who sees them in their summer hour,
Sees but their beauty half and knows not half their power"

Robert Southey
1774-1843


Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.