Solo Winter Ascent of Ellinor

Solo Winter Ascent of Ellinor

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 47.52100°N / 123.2581°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Feb 3, 2013
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Winter
Mount Washington
Washington taken from the road

After missing on this one in December, I've been obsessing about getting back and to the top.  I knew that the trailhead was inaccessible but the road is clear till you get to about three miles from the upper trailhead.  I followed the road all the way to the upper trailhead as I am still a bit unfamiliar with the area and this seemed to be the easiest way to get up higher on the mountain. 

Started up the trail at about 0830 under blue skies and not another soul to be seen.  The trail is easy to follow along the ridgeline and you make the junction to the summer/winter trails rather quickly.  I was to the chute in no time.

The snow going into the chute became rather firm, and crampons and ice ax are a must.  There was some signs of recent avalanche activity but I believe it was iniatiated by skiing down the chute.  I had to kick step my way up as poor weather started to roll in.  I was still rewarded with some fantastic sights at the summit but had to make it a quick visit.

Negotiated back down the chute, glissading down the lower half of it.  Ended up taking the lower trail to cut off a few miles as it was pretty well marked.  Was back to the car by 3:00 PM.

A fantastic, solitary day and I'm thinking Washington is next!

Unnamed Image

 

Descending the chute
Coming back down the chute. Note the sign of recent avalanche activity in the lower right corner.

 

Summit Ellinor
Self portrait from summit of Ellinor




Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mt. EllinorTrip Reports