South Couloir

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.14130°N / 115.0103°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See Approach described in Mountain Overview section on the Main Page.

Route Description


From the headwall of the saddle between Thompson and Williamson head to the left side closest to Thompson. Here you will find a breach in the wall that will allow you to scramble up to the saddle with little difficulty. From the saddle traverse up and around the west side of peak onto class 2 scree and talus. Follow this up towards the south side of the peak close to Saddle between Thompson and Mickey Spire. You will find a short couloir/gully here that contains a bit of class 3 scrambling to take you to the summit. The total distance round trip from the trailhead is roughly 13-14 miles.

Essential Gear


nothing special, but depending on the conditions when you go, an ice axe and crampons might be useful.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.